Vegan chocolate souffle
Author: Yaron Hadad
Recipe type: Dessert
One of the most delicious desserts. This one is typically thought of as a very non-vegan recipe, containing lots of eggs and butter. But check out this much healthier plant-based alternative!
- ⅛ cup oil (I use either a vegetable oil or coconut oil)
- ⅞ cup almond milk (any other kind of milk should work just as well)
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 5½ tablespoons of flour (healthier with whole wheat, tastier with white unfortunately...)
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder or baking soda (this is what gives it the texture - our egg replacement)
- 150 grams of high quality dark chocolate (at least 70% for best results)
- Optional: sugar powder
- Heat up the oven to 150-170 C (~310 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Melt the chocolate. You may melt it by heating it up in the microwave together with the almond milk.
- Mix all the ingredients well. I recommend starting with the oil and only then adding the rest.
- Oil your souffle a bit (souffle here means the aluminum pie pan. For souffle, it is common to use small aluminum pie pans, as this is a dessert for individuals).
- Pour the mixture into the souffle, filling it to ½-inch from the top.
- Optional: add a piece of chocolate on top (in the middle). White chocolate looks best (as it will be a nice surprise once cutting it open, but it is DIFFICULT to find a vegan white chocolate... Dark chocolate works just as well). Note that this is an extra piece not counted for in the 150 grams of dark chocolate mentioned before.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes in temperature of 150-170 C (~310 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Get it out of the oven, put it upside down on a small plate and add sugar powder on top.
- This goes really well with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!